[GUIDE] How To Firmware Spoof A 3DS Game Update CIA

Discussion in '3DS Tutorials' started by Rohul1997, Dec 14, 2015.

Tags:
How to likeprotect your linksReveal download links
  1. Rohul1997

Rohul1997 Global Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Before I start this guide I'd like to give thanks and credit to @Asia81 @d0k3 and everyone else who is involved for their amazing tools and for making this process possible.

I have created this guide to show you how to firmware spoof updates.

First of all go and grab the .CIA update file you are trying to firmware spoof. For my example I will be using the Code Name S.T.E.A.M. v1.2 (EUR) update.

Now go and grab this archive which includes all of the tools needed in order to carry out this process - HERE - Password: Rohul1997
    After the download has been completed extract the files.

Go inside the folder HxDSetupEN and there should be a "setup.exe" file go ahead and install it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before you go on ahead I expect you to already have Homebrew Launcher on your 3DS.
    Now insert your SD card on to your computer and if you haven't already done so, create a folder and name it "3ds" and also create a folder named "Decrypt9" on the root of your SD card.
    [​IMG]

Next copy the Decrypt9WIP folder onto your SD card inside the 3ds folder.
    [​IMG]

Then copy your CIA update file onto your SD card inside the Decrypt9 folder.
    [​IMG]

Now eject your SD card and insert it into your 3DS. Load up Homebrew Launcher and launch Decrypt9WIP.
    [​IMG]

Next inside Decrypt9WIP go down onto "Game Decryptor Options" and press A.
    [​IMG]

Then go down to "CIA Decryptor (deep)" and press A.
    [​IMG]

Wait until the process has been completed successfully and then press Start to reboot and then turn off your 3DS.
    [​IMG]

Now insert your SD card back to your computer and go on your SD Card inside the Decrypt9 folder and rename the CIA update file to something else but don't include any spaces.
    [​IMG]

Now copy that file and on your computer go to the "PackHack V4.1" folder and paste the file inside there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now open the file "HackingToolkit.exe" and a command window should open up.
    [​IMG]

Next type in "cia" and press enter.
    [​IMG]

Then type in the CIA updates' file name exactly without adding on the .CIA extension and press enter.
    [​IMG]

Then type in "n" and press enter.
    [​IMG]

You should now see the following files and folders: "DecryptedExeFS.bin", "DecryptedExHeader.bin", "DecryptedRomFS.bin", "exe" & "romfs".
    [​IMG]

Now we need to modify the Exheader's offset values "0x39C" and "0x79C" both to "21 02" under a Hex editor in order to apply the firmware spoof.
    So open up the program "HxD" that you installed at the beginning of the guide and then press open.
    [​IMG]

Then locate the file "DecryptedExHeader.bin" and open it.
    [​IMG]

Next double click where it says "Offset" at the bottom left.
    [​IMG]

Type in "39C" make sure that "hex" and "begin" is selected and then press "OK"
    [​IMG]

After that edit these values to "21 02"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next do the same again double click where it says "Offset" at the bottom left.
    [​IMG]

This time type in "79C" make sure that "hex" and "begin" is selected and then press "OK"
    [​IMG]

After that edit these values also to "21 02"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now press save and then you may close the program.
    [​IMG]

Next copy the following files and folders: ​
    "DecryptedExeFS.bin", "DecryptedExHeader.bin", "DecryptedRomFS.bin", "exe" & "romfs".
    [​IMG]

Paste them inside the "Makerom" folder.
    [​IMG]

Now inside the "Makerom" folder there should be a "RSF.rsf" file.
    [​IMG]

Open the RSF.rsf file with a text editor.
    [​IMG]

Next edit the following information on the text editor respectively:
    [​IMG]

"Title" - You can put anything on this

"ProductCode" - You must put the product code of the game which can be found on 3DSDB
    Make sure you put a "U" in between. This will help us differentiate between the game and the update. For my example it would be "CTR-U-AY6A"
    [​IMG]

"UniqueId" - This can also be found on 3DSDB
    Take the values according to how I've done it. For my example it would be 0x followed by "0004000000132500"
    [​IMG]

Now press "File" and then "Save"
    [​IMG]

Next open "makerom.bat"
    [​IMG]

After that a command window should open up and in seconds it should complete the process.
    [​IMG]

Finally you should now be left with a newly created file named "update.cia" which is your Firmware spoofed update for your game. You can now copy this file to your SD card and install it how you would normally install updates.
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations you have just firmware spoofed a 3DS game update. :woot:​

#1 Rohul1997, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    rocknard likes this.
  2. Cha0s Em3rald

Cha0s Em3rald Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Nice guide [MENTION=7]Rohul1997[/MENTION]
    Thread stuck :)

3. Rohul1997

Thanks a lot :D

4. Keizel

Keizel Active Member

Incredible!! Thank you very much for the tutorial

5. furntree

furntree New Member

Going to try ACHHD 2.0 when I get home from work tonight. The wife has been waiting a long time for this update!

6. Rohul1997

Thanks guys I'm very grateful that this guide is useful to you:D

#6 Rohul1997, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. furntree

furntree New Member

Does anyone happen to know if the latest Triforce Heroes patch is firmware locked? Gives me infinite 3DS loading screen, but wanted to check before I do this whole process again!

8. Rohul1997

Yep the latest Triforce update requires FS to work on n3ds. If you want the EUR update ive posted a FS version on the update section

9. furntree

furntree New Member

Thanks! Made a USA version and it works a treat.

10. DarkenedMatter

So how do I go about getting the update file either off my 3DS or from another source? Is there a program to download the update file? Like... 3DNUS? or whatever it's called..

11. Rohul1997

Your going to have to get it from another source from someone else

12. Rohul1997

Could you kindly share this FS update with the community by posting it on this site?

13. DarkenedMatter

Crap, alright i'll just wait a day or two to play it then.

14. wii_go

wii_go Member

wooh what a knowledge down here, i don't doing by myself because there's update files down here in CG, but don't reaaly understand how to use it... in CIA format, i have just to install it with my CIA installer like i'm doing for the game or something to do before... ask this because i try to install an update for a game a week ago in cia format but never find it after the install, i don't know if the update wa install to the game or not ???

• About Us

Chaos Gamez is a friendly online community with our members sharing all the content you will ever need for your 3DS console including games in .3ds & .cia format, updates, DLC, Homebrew, CFW's, Flashcard firmwares, cheats & a variety of content for other platforms. We have all the downloads and games you'll ever need for your WiiU too! Including WiiU USB Ready Games, WUD Files, Game Tickets, and Homebrew! Same applies for NDS Roms, Wii WBFS, GameCube ISOs, and Retro game console ROMs!
  • Donate to the Server

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best security, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to contribute and support the community? We'd really appreciate it!

Become a Donor!
  • Disclaimer

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site