How To Un-link Your sysNAND & emuNAND

Discussion in '3DS Tutorials' started by Cha0s Em3rald, Oct 12, 2015.

Reveal download linksHow to likeprotect your links
  1. Cha0s Em3rald

Cha0s Em3raldCha0s Em3rald is a Verified  Member Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

How To Un-link Your sysNAND & emuNAND

Here's a quick & easy to follow guide on how to un-link your nand's for those who don't know how it's done

1. In sysnand, go to System Settings -> Other Settings -> Format System (Do not accept yet)

2. Eject your Sd card (don't worry, it is safe)

3. Accept to Format your 3DS/2DS

4. After it reboots, go through the setup screen and set everything up

5. Once in the home menu, insert back you sd card and let it create some files on your sd card.

6. Your nands are now unlinked, and there are 2 ID folders in your Nintendo 3DS folder on your SD card (one for emunand, another for sysnand)

2. uploadmaster

uploadmaster Guest

Can you tell me the pros and cons of unlinked NANDs?

3. Cha0s Em3rald

unlinking your nands has quite a few benifits & in my guides it recommends it, a few reasons are below

It separates the two NANDs so you can set each one up differently (different themes etc) so you don't accidentally update your sysNAND
    It stops the eshop game gift wrapping bug where an installed title has to be unwrapped each time you boot into emuNAND
    Some exploits are reported as not working with linked nands
    It is supposed to make playing CIA format GBA games easier where they don't have to be installed on both nands

4. Madridi

MadridiMadridi is a Verified  Member Global Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

[MENTION=43]uploadmaster[/MENTION]

While the pros listed by [MENTION=2]Cha0s Em3rald[/MENTION] are correct, I'll just clarify that the unwrapping issue can be resolved by doing something else.

I personally like to keep my nands linked. I want to have access to all my content on a single nnid (which is how your nands get linked). It's a hassle having two nands in my opinion. Heck, I even use a second 3ds that I had to create a second nnid because you can't use your nnid on more than one 3ds (or NAND)

Thats just my opinion though. It's main advantages are 2 things:
    - people who install CIA games: I heard that going to data management when you installed CIA games with your NAND linked freezes the 3ds or something. It can be avoided obviously by never accessing data management, but it's worth pointing out.

- people using themehax with cfw: cfw won't boot if your nands linked with themehax. There is no way around unlinking for that

But yeah to each their own.for guides purposes and as a community recommendation, unlinked is always preferred. But I personally, knowing the pros and cons, like to have them linked.

hope that helps ;)

5. fireflare260

fireflare260 Member

Is there a specific method for installing them in both? I seem to be making some noob mistake.

6. rocknard

rocknard Active Member

Thanks. Works fine.

I tried the method "Tinyformat" on emunand and it was a mess.

7. MattKimura

MattKimuraMattKimura is a Verified  Member Chaos Fanatic
    Staff Member VIP

The "Tinyformat" method on emunand is only if you used system settings to separate the nands and you had an NNID on sysnand before creating emunand, which creates a problem.

@Cha0s Em3rald
    The ideal way to separate the nands now adays is to use tinyformat on sysnand via homebrew launcher instead of system settings. That's because Tinyformat can format the system, without connecting to Nintendo's servers telling them that you're removing your NNID from that system.
    Basically if you have an NNID connected to emunand, it's never a good idea to use system settings to format sysnand to separate the nands. Trust me, the after effects of using system settings creates a bad problem in emunand and can be annoying to fix.

8. Cha0s Em3rald

Thanks for the info Matt,

I did share this guide before tinyformat was released & I can't say I've had any problems doing it that way but it's good that tools like tinyformat have been released to make this sort of thing easier. Maybe you could share a quick guide on doing it that way (when you have time) to help users like rocknard & stop them having problems with it :)

9. rocknard

rocknard Active Member

@MattKimura I don't have CFW, only Gateway, so i can't install on sysnand anything (i installed tinyformat on emunand and i lost the exploit mset). I never use the "NNID", so it was simple.

I wil try to upgrade mi sysnand from 4.5.0 to 9.2 and then try to install Rxtool (best cfw?). I hope not lost my gateway (using the exploit MSET is very easy with blue card, but i fear this get complicated so much if i use others methods to install exploit, even if i need online connection).

Thanks.

• About Us

Chaos Gamez is a friendly online community with our members sharing all the content you will ever need for your 3DS console including games in .3ds & .cia format, updates, DLC, Homebrew, CFW's, Flashcard firmwares, cheats & a variety of content for other platforms. We have all the downloads and games you'll ever need for your WiiU too! Including WiiU USB Ready Games, WUD Files, Game Tickets, and Homebrew! Same applies for NDS Roms, Wii WBFS, GameCube ISOs, and Retro game console ROMs!
  • Donate to the Server

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best security, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to contribute and support the community? We'd really appreciate it!

Become a Donor!
  • Disclaimer

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site