Skylanders MaxLander Review

Discussion in 'NFC Device Reviews' started by Cha0s Em3rald, Dec 25, 2015.

protect your linksReveal download linksHow to like
  1. Cha0s Em3rald

Cha0s Em3raldCha0s Em3rald is a Verified  Member Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Today I will be reviewing the Maxlander

Official MaxLander site link

What is MaxLander?
    The Maxlander is an NFC device that can be used to backup your Skylander characters/items & also restore backup bin files of Skylander characters you have stored on your PC downloaded from various locations across the net including this site onto the tokens included in the pack which go straight onto your Portal of Power & work like Skylanders characters.

The Maxlander is compatible with all of the Skylander games released so far - Spyro's Adventure, Giants, Swap Force, Trap Team & the latest game SuperChargers Racing.

Which console platforms are supported?
    Basically any platform that Skylanders games are available on, this includes 3DS, Wii U, Wii, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4 & PS3

Maxlander unboxing

The Maxlander came well packed in a small white box

[​IMG]

MaxLander Device

[​IMG]

MaxLander 1M USB Cable

[​IMG]

MaxLander Token x2

[​IMG]

MaxLander Token Holder x2

[​IMG]

MaxLander Element Paper x2

[​IMG]

How to use the MaxLander to backup one of your Skylander characters/items

To do this you will need

MaxLander kit
    Maxlander software - Latest - MaxLander_setup_v1.42
    Any Skylander you want to back up

For this guide I will be backing up Lightcore Grim Creeper

[​IMG]

First install the MaxLander software on your PC/Laptop
    Note - During the software insulation a folder named "MaxLander" will be created at Local Disc (C)/Users/"Your PC Name"/Maxlander

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the software has installed click "Finish" to launch the MaxLander software

[​IMG]

Plug the USB cable into your MaxLander device then plug the cable into your PC/Laptop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then place the Skylander figure you want to backup onto the MaxLander

[​IMG]

The MaxLander software will then read the figure

[​IMG]

THe Skylander figure is then recognized by the software

[​IMG]

Click on "Backup" to backup your Skylander

[​IMG]

Choose the location to backup your Skylander to, as default the software will open the MaxLander folder I mentioned earlier

[​IMG]

Click the "Save" button to backup your Skylander

[​IMG]

The bin file of the skylander you have just backed up can then be found in your MaxLander folder

[​IMG]

How to load a backed up Skylander bin file onto a MaxLander Token to use on your Skylander game

To do this you will need

MaxLander kit
    Maxlander software - Latest - MaxLander_setup_v1.42
    Any single Skylander bin file from a site like NGMore or you can download this Pack of 400 Skylanders (Registration to the site required to download)
    The latest extras.txt file - Latest - Maxlander - extras_1115
    A Skylanders game to play
    Your Portal of Power

Download & install the MaxLander software then the extras.txt file & the pack of Skylanders & extract them into your MaxLanders folder - Local Disc (C)/Users/"Your PC Name"/Maxlander

[​IMG]

Take 1 token, 1 token holder & an image from the Element paper

[​IMG]

Open the token holder & put the token in one half & the piece from the Element paper in the top half

[​IMG]

Then close the token

[​IMG]

Launch the MaxLander softwware on your PC

[​IMG]

Connect the MaxLander device to your PC with the USB cable

[​IMG]

Then put the token holder onto the MaxLander device

[​IMG]

THe software will read the token which if you have never used it before will be blank but I have already loaded a Skylander on it as you can see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to load a different Skylander onto the token so click on the "Restore" button & the box will open with your MaxLander Folder for you to select a Skylander

[​IMG]

Open the folder with the Skylander you want to use & click on the character/item you want to use, I'm going to use "Legendary Bash" for the Earth folder

[​IMG]

Then click on the "Open" button & a warning box will open

[​IMG]

Click "OK" & the Skylander will write to the token

[​IMG]

You will then get a box showing the token has been overwriten

[​IMG]

Click "OK" & the MaxLander device will read the token & show the Skylander writen onto the token

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can now remove the token & shut down the MaxLander software

Now visit the Portal area on your Skylanders game

[​IMG]

Place the MaxLander token on your Portal of Power

[​IMG]

The character appears on the Portal of your game & is ready to use

[​IMG]

Have fun playing the game! Just repeat the process above when you want to change characters

My summary & thoughts on the MaxLander

Being a big fan of Spyro games for years on various platforms & of the Skylander series of games I think this is a great piece of kit! It is super easy to set up and use. My son has been using it more than I have on his XBox 360 and after watching me load Skylanders onto the tokens he now does it himself adding what ever character he needs as he works his way through his Skylander games.

Would I recommend people buy a MaxLander? If you are a fan of the Skylander games then 100% yes!, with the price & rarity of some of the Skylander figures & items the MaxLander is worth every penny. You can work your way through all the games without having to spend a fortune

With the online community for the bin files for this item being as good as it is there are already around 400 Skylander bin files available on the net with more being added all the time as new characters are released so you shouldn't have any trouble finding the Skylander you need to complete any part of the game

Some extra info for 3DS users

As this is a 3DS based site here is some extra info for 3DS users

As you can see above the MaxLander is fully compatible with the games on the Nintendo 3DS whether you be playing the games via cartridge, CFW, Gateway or Sky3DS via a CIA or a 3DS ROM, if playing with a CIA or 3DS ROM all you need is a Portal of Power which can be bought cheaply on sites like eBay or Amazon

CIA & 3DS ROM versions of all the Games are available of this site (Registration required to download)

CIA Format

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure EUR USA JPN
    Skylanders Giants EUR EUR USA
    Skylanders Swap Force EUR USA
    Skylanders Trap Team EUR USA
    Skylanders SuperChargers Racing EUR USA

3DS Format

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure EUR USA JPN
    Skylanders Giants EUR EUR USA
    Skylanders Swap Force EUR USA
    Skylanders Trap Team EUR USA
    Skylanders SuperChargers Racing EUR USA

Namiio review coming soon

op2seb, Madridi and gamecaptor like this.
  2. gamecaptor

gamecaptor Active Member

Thanks for writing up this review! I've been thinking about getting back into Skylanders (I was invested early on, but I got out when the Amiibo's showed up).

It's hard to find information on these NFC readers, so this is helpful.

I'm thinking about getting back into the 3DS games with this tool but I have a few questions if you don't mind.

The Namiio, N2 Elite and Amiiqo are for Amiibo only correct?

I know there is some compatibility with the Skylanders portals (I don't believe older ones could read the newer characters). So it would be best to buy the Skylanders: SuperChargers portal to ensure all the characters work?

With the first two games there were additional items that would unlock parts of the game or grant special items. Are these available in these downloadable packs as well or just the characters?

Thanks again Cha0s Em3rald! I appreciate all you do!

Madridi likes this.
  3. funfair91

funfair91funfair91 is a Verified  Member Developer
    Developer

I didn't get my hand to try it, but I realize I can put .bin file from Skylander into amiiqo. But I never tried if it works. So maybe someone with both games could try it?

4. Cha0s Em3rald

Cha0s Em3raldCha0s Em3rald is a Verified  Member Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Namiio, N2 Elite & Amiiqo are for Amiibo only, I think there was talk about N2 Elite supporting Skylanders in the future or them releasing a tool for skylanders but I haven't heard any more since.

With the 3DS portals you can use any one to play the games, I have the original Spyro's adventure portal & that works fine with the newer superchargers characters. The trap team portal has an extra bit for the trap, they may be saveable on the game like other skylanders are,
    The skylander games on 3DS are different to how they are on other platforms like the XBOX 360, PS3 etc, on 3DS you can actually store all your skylanders characters on the game & select which skylander you want to use on the bottom screen while playing the game.
    I'm not 100% sure if any of those items are included, if you could find those then they would work with the game.

You can load them on but they won't work from what I've read, its the same with the other games that use NFC figures like LEGO dimension etc

Madridi and gamecaptor like this.
  5. funfair91

funfair91funfair91 is a Verified  Member Developer
    Developer

Ah alright, i think i might know the reason, the way they n2 was build was to give each character a certain drawer, like a fix 540bytes for each slots, which is why it could not detect, as when it read, it read all 540 bytes.

Madridi and Cha0s Em3rald like this.
  6. gamecaptor

gamecaptor Active Member

ok, cool. I'm going to have to pick one of these up. Thanks!
    --- Post merged ---
    Any recommendations on where to pick one up in the US? It appears many of the re-sellers on their site no longer work.

Any how many tokens do you suggest?

Cha0s Em3rald likes this.
  7. Azdraxia

Azdraxia Member

Anyone have problems using two skylanders (two player ) on ps4? Mine will read a trap and a skylander but not 2 skylanders

• About Us

Chaos Gamez is a friendly online community with our members sharing all the content you will ever need for your 3DS console including games in .3ds & .cia format, updates, DLC, Homebrew, CFW's, Flashcard firmwares, cheats & a variety of content for other platforms. We have all the downloads and games you'll ever need for your WiiU too! Including WiiU USB Ready Games, WUD Files, Game Tickets, and Homebrew! Same applies for NDS Roms, Wii WBFS, GameCube ISOs, and Retro game console ROMs!
  • Donate to the Server

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best security, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to contribute and support the community? We'd really appreciate it!

Become a Donor!
  • Disclaimer

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site