PSA: Gateway Users, Use Open A9LH not Gateway Fastboot!!!

Discussion in '3DS News' started by DayVeeBoi, Jun 5, 2016.

Tags:
protect your linksReveal download linksHow to like
  1. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi News Reporter
    Staff Member News Team

Hi, I haven't posted in a while, I've been busy but today I saw a Blog Post from d0k3 on GBAtemp that could affect a lot of users who are less informed. As I said before, I have been busy so I am going to copy verbatim a few important points and just link to his full post.... Here goes:

"What you get with GW A9LH if everything goes right (= not a brick), using their tools to install:
    • Fast and stable boot to the Gateway CFW on EmuNAND
    • System updates are blocked and would otherwise brick the system
    • No ability to run ARM9 homebrew such as Decrypt9 or EmuNAND9
    • No ability to restore to an earlier state (might be wrong, see below)
    The last two bullet points, in essence mean that (1) you can't go back to an earlier state and (2) if you should ever lose or break your GW card, you've got a system that is, in essence, unusable. UPDATE: As @ihaveamac stated, the NAND restore is fixed in the most recent version. Take note that you're still putting all your eggs into one basket with this, as you got no other means of going back."

"What you get with the standard, open source A9LH installation:
    • Fast and stable boot with a free choice of CFW
    • The A9LH installation is protected on most CFWs, thus, you can do system updates without trouble
    • A plethora of ARM9 homebrews, which make the whole thing safer, give you more options or are just fun
    • You can always go back to an earlier state thanks to actively developed homebrews"
    Thanks to d0k3 Via GBAtemp

Madridi, Margen67 and Rohul1997 like this.
  2. DarkFlare

DarkFlare Active Member

This isn't true in any way. Going back to before Gateway a9lh is as simple as renaming a file. What idiot overwrites their old/original arm9loaderhax.bin?

Sure, as long as Gateway's payload is named "arm9loaderhax.bin" then the last 2 points are true. but you can simply go onto your PC and rename the old arm9loaderhax backup.bin to arm9loaderhax.bin if you ever want to access Decrypt9.

3. NeoGamer

NeoGamerNeoGamer is a Verified  Member Chaos Legend
    VIP

Gateways own version of arm9 is injected into nand not a arm9loaderhax.bin!
    They released a bin to run alongside cfw. This isnt the full gateway arm9 setup thats being talk about here. Im sure d0k3 knows what hes talking about. You can't just place a arm9.bin on your sd after installing gw arm9 cause it won't work. It will only boot gw arm9 forever unless you do a old nand restore.

#3 NeoGamer, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  4. DarkFlare

DarkFlare Active Member

I was talking about the arm9loaderhax. It is as simple as copying, I do it every day.
    --- Post merged ---
    so, What's the advantage of installing the stuff to your nand opposed to copying a single file to your sd card?

5. NeoGamer

NeoGamerNeoGamer is a Verified  Member Chaos Legend
    VIP

There is no advantage. That's the whole point of this thread were talking about there install method not the recently released bin file. . Gateways own version locks you gateway only. No chain loading any other version of a arm9loaderhax.bin. It's a warning not to do gateways method and do the plailect guide and chain load there bin file for gateway.

Rohul1997 and Madridi like this.
  6. Madridi

MadridiMadridi is a Verified  Member Global Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

@DarkFlare

You are confusing 2 terminologies here:
    - A9LH is a hack.
    - Arm9loaderhax.bin is the file that supports running whatever on the hack.

Gateway released arm9loaderhax.bin to run off the current a9lh hack implementation the scene has provided. This is fine.

The problem d0k3 is referring to, is besides the arm9loaderhax.bin, gateway released a completely different A9LH installation (that would require you to once again downgrade and stuff). THAT is not recommendable and is generally a bad idea.

Honestly, my take on this is that I do not understand why gateway went through all this trouble to begin with. All what gateway owners wanted was the arm9loaderhax.bin .. Instead they spend months looking for a different installation, that's not compatible with other stuff, and doesn't have a single advantage or feature over the current ones?

Well.. As long as they did eventually release a compatible arm9loaderhax.bin then I don't care :p .. But they are certainly heading in the wrong direction if this was any indication

Rohul1997 and NeoGamer like this.
  7. Rohul1997

Rohul1997Rohul1997 is a Verified  Member Global Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Lol yep they've been through months in trying to look for an A9LH installation method that would LOCK DOWN to GW only. All we wanted is the binary and in the end they did release it. Which means they have wasted a lot of their own time. How lame x3

Madridi likes this.
  8. DarkFlare

DarkFlare Active Member

so,What's the advantage of installing the stuff to your nand opposed to copying a single file
    I realized that. That's why I was confused. No one is going to follow their version of a9lh installation when you can use the other one that's more well known and most people think of it as the "official" one. i would recommend people follow that one and then just use the arm9loaderhax.bin gateway provided instead of the first one. they shouldn't have wasted their time making a whole new process when the other one worked just fine.

• About Us

Chaos Gamez is a friendly online community with our members sharing all the content you will ever need for your 3DS console including games in .3ds & .cia format, updates, DLC, Homebrew, CFW's, Flashcard firmwares, cheats & a variety of content for other platforms. We have all the downloads and games you'll ever need for your WiiU too! Including WiiU USB Ready Games, WUD Files, Game Tickets, and Homebrew! Same applies for NDS Roms, Wii WBFS, GameCube ISOs, and Retro game console ROMs!
  • Donate to the Server

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best security, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to contribute and support the community? We'd really appreciate it!

Become a Donor!
  • Disclaimer

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site