[TUTORIAL] - Convert GameBoy(GB) ROMs to GB VC 3DS and CIA files

Discussion in '3DS Tutorials' started by Cha0s Em3rald, Oct 18, 2015.

How to likeReveal download linksprotect your links
  1. Cha0s Em3rald

Cha0s Em3raldCha0s Em3rald is a Verified  Member Retired Admin
    VIP

[TUTORIAL] - Convert GameBoy(GB) ROMs to GB VC 3DS and CIA files

This guide was writen by davhuit of GBA Temp, credit & thanks go to him for allowing me to repost his guides on 3DS Chaos

Hello.

Someone asked me some tutorials in a private message and though there might be some on the web, I decided to write mines to help, and I'll share them here.

So, how to convert a GB/GBC rom to a 3DS GB/GBC VC easily :

1) First, download this pack of tools that contains everything you need : Download 3DS Injector rar and extract it in a folder. You also need need Python Download python msi and Pillow Download Pillow win amd64 py2 exe installed on your computer to use the cia converter but you'll also need them for the banner/icons parts anyway.

2) Download a GB Rom. If you are wondering why I tend to prefer to use European games instead of USA ones, just be aware that unlike the NES/Snes era, Handheld systems have always runned at the same speed, even the old GameBoy games so it's pretty useless in my opinion to only use USA games when you can do one with more languages included. Well, for GameBoy games, it's not really important because multi-languages games weren't released on this sytem, but GameBoy Color have some multi-languages games. Now that the rom is downloaded, extract it in the same folder you extracted the tools.

3) You need to create proper banner/icons. To know how, check this tutorial : http://3dschaos.com/3ds-tutorials/4...y-color-gamegear-genesis-post656.html#post656

4) If you followed with success the tutorial in the step 3, you should now have two files. One called "banner.bin" and another one called "icon.bin" which are
    the banner and two icons required to create a custom GB VC game.

5) Now, open the "gw.rsf" in a text editor (Notepad is enough) and edit three lines :

- Title : "Insert a name here"
    - ProductCode : "CTR-G-XXXX" (replace the XXXX with 4 letters)
    - UniqueId : 0x00XXXX (replace the XXXX with four digits)

In my example, it give me this :

- Title : "The Legend of Zelda - A Link's Awakening (U)"
    - ProductCode : "CTR-G-LZLA" (replace the XXXX with 4 letters)
    - UniqueId : 0x003001 (replace the XXXX with four digits)

Note : You can't install two .cia files with the same UniqueId (seems normal) so be careful about the id you choose if you want to share it converted to a .cia
    file later. If you only use/share .3DS file, then the id is not really important and can always be the same, as you don't install .3DS file, just run them. I used 0000-0300 and 2000-3000 in my own VC Games/thread, and retail 3DS games converted to CIA (the ones I saw, at least) seems to use UniqueID from 0400 to 1900, that's why I used 0-300 + 2000-3000.

If you want to be safe and stay compatible with mines, the best would be to use 6000+ UniqueID. If you only keep them for you, then the UniqueID is not really
    important, just use one that isn't already used by your 3DS (you can list the programs installed on your 3DS and their UniqueID/Serial with a cia installer like BigBlueMenu or other apps like that).

Once the "gw.rsf" is edited, of course, save the modifications.

6) Take the "banner.bin" and "icon.bin" files you created in the step three, then copy-paste/move them to the "tempfold" subdirectory and overwrite the existing ones.

7) Drag 'n drop your .gb rom on the "createrom.bat" file. It'll open a command-line window and ask you to choose a name for the .3DS file the program will created. You should better put a name without space for now, so I called mine "Shadowgate". As the window says, don't put the .3ds extension. Once the name is entered, press the enter key to confirm. It'll take a few seconds to create the .3DS file depending of the speed of your computer. Should take less than one minute. Once it's done, you'll see a "Rom Created", press any key to continue", so press any key to close the windows as written in the window. If you wanted a .3ds file, then the tutorial is over for you If you wanted a .cia file, go to step 8 and keep reading.

8) Download this pack : Download 3DS CIA Converter NES rar and extract it to a folder. Then, put your 3DS GB file in the same directory. Now, run "3DS To CIA Converter.bat". It'll offer you several possibilities :

* Type : 3 (Converters), then 5 (Start VC 3DS to CIA Converter).

* Enter the rom name (in my example : "Zelda.3ds").

* Answer "n" to the message "Try Alternative Method if Previous Failed (note that the "n" should be a lowercase one for the choice, even if the message show uppercases letters).

* Answer "n" to the message "Would You Like To Replace The NES/GB/GBC/GBA Rom (again, the "n" should be a lowercase one for the choice)

* Just wait until the cia file is created. You'll briefly see a message saying the CIA file won't be encrypted. Don't worry, it's normal.

* The message "CIA File Created Now Copy to 3DS Large SD Card And Install Through DevMenu" will be displayed, just press any key to continue.

* To close the program, either hit enter in the first menu as written in the screen or just close it manually with the cross in the upper-right corner, either is fine.

* The cia file is created. In my example, the cia file is called "Zelda.cia", so the tutorial is over

2. tatundria

tatundria Member

It gives me "corrupted save file" error when I try to run the installed cia. Any idea why?

• About Us

Chaos Gamez is a friendly online community with our members sharing all the content you will ever need for your 3DS console including games in .3ds & .cia format, updates, DLC, Homebrew, CFW's, Flashcard firmwares, cheats & a variety of content for other platforms. We have all the downloads and games you'll ever need for your WiiU too! Including WiiU USB Ready Games, WUD Files, Game Tickets, and Homebrew! Same applies for NDS Roms, Wii WBFS, GameCube ISOs, and Retro game console ROMs!
  • Donate to the Server

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best security, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to contribute and support the community? We'd really appreciate it!

Become a Donor!
  • Disclaimer

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site