[Tutorial] Custom Menuhax boot screens

Discussion in '3DS Tutorials' started by MattKimura, Jan 19, 2016.

protect your linksReveal download linksHow to like
  1. MattKimura

MattKimuraMattKimura is a Verified  Member Chaos Fanatic
    Staff Member VIP

If you're one of those who've setup menuhax to autoboot into your CFW, you may or may not know that you can actually change the image that displays when you first boot up your 3DS. Instead of seeing the default white static screen, you can set any image you want. This post contains backgrounds you can use, plus a guide on how to set it up on your 3DS.

Video demonstration
    [video=youtube;oqdauBpKOAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdauBpKOAM[/video]

Downloads

V1.1

NSFW Pack

Note: I Take no ownership over any images in this package, credit to users on Reddit/GBAtemp

Instructions

1. Place the "Menuhax Boot Screens" folder on the root of your SD card

2. Open the "Menuhax Boot Screens" folder and find an image you like

3. Note the image's number, and go to it's corresponding folder

4. Copy the "menuhax_imagedisplay" bin file and paste it to the root of the SD card

You should now see your new boot screen when menuhax boots up, instead of the white static.

Whenever you want a different boot screen, simply copy and paste the "menuhax_imagedisplay" bin file to the root of the SD for the image you want.

How to make your own

Using Gimp

1. Create a new image with the size 800x240

2. File>Open as layers then choose your image

3. Right click on the layer, choose "Scale layer". Set the size to 400x240

4. Choose the alignment tool, and click on the image. From the toolbox, choose the left arrow
    to shift the image to the left

5. Right click on the layer, choose "Duplicate layer"

6. Use the alignment tool to move either image to the right

7. Right click on the top layer and choose "merge down"

8. Go to file>Export as... Choose PNG format

How to convert your PNG image to BIN:

1. Go to http://xem.github.io/3DShomebrew/tools/image-to-bin.html
    2. upload your png image
    3. mark the 90° option
    4. download the "image.bin" and rename it to "menuhax_imagedisplay.bin"
    5. copy the file to the root of the SD card

#1 MattKimura, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. Rohul1997

Rohul1997Rohul1997 is a Verified  Member Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Yh I use a custom image as well. Great work for posting this:D
    The thing is after creating the duplicate image I don't convert the png to a bin file. I just place the png inside - 3ds\menuhax_manager\imagedisplay.png and then use menuhax manager to select that image. but your method is much easier thanks for showing this.

#2 Rohul1997, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  3. MattKimura

MattKimuraMattKimura is a Verified  Member Chaos Fanatic
    Staff Member VIP

When you do it through menuhax manager, it's still gonna create a bin file : p
    Creating the bin file yourself on your computer takes a second and avoids having to boot everything up on your 3DS~
    Ever since I found out about it, I never used menuhax manager ever again! In my pack, are not only boot screen images, but they're converted to bin file already. Swapping boot screens is easy thanks to my pack.

4. Rohul1997

Rohul1997Rohul1997 is a Verified  Member Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Yh that's what I meant it converts it into a bin file in the end. But your method is definitely easier and less hassle

• About Us

Chaos Gamez is a friendly online community with our members sharing all the content you will ever need for your 3DS console including games in .3ds & .cia format, updates, DLC, Homebrew, CFW's, Flashcard firmwares, cheats & a variety of content for other platforms. We have all the downloads and games you'll ever need for your WiiU too! Including WiiU USB Ready Games, WUD Files, Game Tickets, and Homebrew! Same applies for NDS Roms, Wii WBFS, GameCube ISOs, and Retro game console ROMs!
  • Donate to the Server

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best security, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to contribute and support the community? We'd really appreciate it!

Become a Donor!
  • Disclaimer

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site